A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Vlad Dumitrescu (EAW) Vlad.Dumitrescu@REDACTED
Tue Jan 28 13:48:04 CET 2003

Hi,

another reason for which the distribution structure would benefit from being revised (with ot without repackaging, but more so with) is that the build process will have to be revisited too. Cleaning up all dependencies and generally streamlining the Makefiles would make life much easier for maintainance.

Not to mention that it might make possible to build on Cygwin! ;-)

A sidenote regarding use of Corba: here it is used in order to provide a common API to both a Java GUI and the C CLI. Possibly even higher-level OSS applications might use it, but I am not sure. I don't know about the Java side, but on the Erlang side using JInterface/erl_interface would have saved many many manhours...

Last, about Miguel's comment about writing horrible code in Erlang: please don't get me started, I get to debug and fix and maintain such old code on a daily basis... Could it be that the "design guidelines" were not written back then? :-)

regards,
Vlad