Killing a erlang process.

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Mon Jan 27 21:13:07 CET 2003

Daniel,

I'm not sure what you mean by "the telnet session timed out" as telnet
sessions don't "time out" to my knowledge.  However if you are connected
through a NAT box that box may very well time out the assignment of your
port and your telnet session will no longer be usable.  The solution to
these types of problems is to turn keep alives on.  How to do that I'll
leave you to discover.

I suspect though that your Erlang node is still running as it doesn't know
that you are no longer connected.  Your shell process is still running and
a netstat will show the telnet session as still connected.  If there are
no keep alives in use it has no way of knowing that the session is gone
unless there is output from the process.  If the telnet session is dropped,
from the perspective of the your server, a SIGHUP will be received and the
node should be killed.  The other nodes will see that is gone and the name
will be unregistered.

As far as connecting to a running process is concerned I recommend following
the embedded systems procedures for running your application.  Once you
have your application set up this way it is started using run_erl and you
can connect to it using to_erl.

	-Vance