io:format() vs io_lib:format()

Raimo Niskanen raimo.niskanen@REDACTED
Fri Feb 28 10:51:11 CET 2003

A trick question for anyone interested:

What is the difference between:
	io:format(Format, Args)
and
	io:put_chars(io_lib:format(Format, Args))
?

A hint, it's about performance.

Scroll down to see the answer.

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB.

Answer:

io:format(Format, Args) will send Format and Args to the io server
process, do the formatting there and send the data to a port (mostly).

io:put_chars(io_lib:format(Format, Args)) will do the formatting in the
calling process and send the formatted result to the io server process
that sends the data to a port.

So, since the formatted data mostly is bigger than the sum of Format and
Args, the second version sends more data between processes. Hence the
first version is mostly more efficient.