Banned Erlang

Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Tue Feb 25 19:14:00 CET 2003

>   For example,
>   Aspect-Oriented Programming is generating a lot of excitement in OO
>   circles, and one of the central ideas is "Gee, we have this 'ravioli
>   code' where nobody knows (or is supposed to know) how the other parts
>   work, so how do we handle the stuff that doesn't fit inside individual
>   objects, like concurrency?

Oh, another buzzy one. AOP! :)

What I read in iX journal looked to me like a glorified event handling,
with events being stuff like entering or leaving certain statement
blocks. But I might be totally wrong of course.

This is from http://aosd.net

  What is Aspect-Oriented Software Development?

  Aspect-oriented software development is a new technology for separation of
  concerns (SOC) in software development. The techniques of AOSD make it
  possible to modularize crosscutting aspects of a system.

  Like objects, aspects may arise at any stage of the software lifecycle,
  including requirements specification, design, implementation, etc.
  Common examples of crosscutting aspects are design or architectural
  constraints, systemic properties or behaviors (e.g., logging and
  error recovery), and features.

  Researchers in AOSD are largely driven by the fundamental goal of
  better separation of concerns. So while crosscutting tends to be
  a significant focus of their work, they also incorporate other
  kinds of SOC techniques, including such well established approaches
  as OO and good old-fashioned structured programming. This is reflected
  in the way much of the work in the field blends support for many
  different kinds of modularity including block structure, object structure,
  inheritance as well as crosscutting.

I admit I don't grok it from that.

Regards,
Marc