Bio-Erlang ?

Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Wed Feb 19 12:00:57 CET 2003

>   There is BioLisp, BioPerl, BioJava, BioPython, BioXML BioCorba, Bio....
>   But I have not yet seen BioErlang.

I worked 2 years in a Bioinformatics company, at one point we indeed
had a look at Erlang.

Bioinformatics deals with terabytes of information that was gathered in
molecular genetics.
A plethora of different datatypes is used there, from sequences of
all kinds to graphs of metabolic pathways.

Some problems:

- organize that data and the access to many different public and
  commercial databases
- the graphical representation of data
- processing of data and derivation of new data from it (searches,
  predictions, ..)

Some processing eats up really much CPU cycles. For that
it would be nice to distribute workload.
If remember right we looked into Erlang for implementing that
part. (And among other stuff XML for topic 1, and Java for top2 ..)

Regards,
Marc