Musings on an Erlang GUI System.

Joe Armstrong <>
Sat Feb 15 15:23:18 CET 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Mikael Karlsson wrote:

... cut ...

> > My second thoughts on a GUI are that it should be *entirely* based on
> > message passing - like X-windows - In principle I want the GUI to run
> > on one machine and I want the control process to run on another
> > machine - if we wrote them like this then we could write wonderful
> > apps - spawning of GUI's on remote machines etc.  great fun ...
> >

> > /Joe
> In this case you could also have a look at old Fresco. It is all CORBA
> but anyway.

  I saw freso a while ago - IMHO fresco has the right architecture but the
*wrong* transport medium - CORBA for the transport of data between the
client and server will give a large performance hit and adds an incredable
amount of unecessary complexity - If the'd just have erlang terms or lisp
S-expressions or UBF to communicate it would be great.