Interesting read about Java

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Mon Feb 10 18:16:05 CET 2003

Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi <Chandrashekhar.Mullaparthi@REDACTED> wrote:
> http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321

This was an excellent read, as my company has come to suffer greatly
from the (horrible) implementation of the JRE on Solaris.

To be honest, I'm not surprised that this memo was written.  The
writing has been on the wall for quite some time now that
Solaris + Java + Enterprise = VeryBadIdea.  This is solely based on
the JRE, and has nothing to do with the base language or APIs, which
I also think are sorely lacking to some respect (but also have some
good qualities).  If the JRE was better, or there was a better JRE,
or an alternative to the JRE, I think I would feel otherwise.

Fortunately, one group I work with is beginning to consider Erlang
for its technical merits and "much loved" features we always praise
(message passing, processes, distributed, blah blah), most important
of which is the stability of erts on Solaris.  :)

--
Shawn.