erl -name XXX problem

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Fri Oct 25 15:21:13 CEST 2002

Hi Joe,

May I also add (because I had the same problem) that the
$HOME/.erlang.cookie file in your home directory needs to be copied to
the machines you wish to communicate with in order to authenicate the
commincating nodes. I have read in one mailing that you can achieve the
same result with erl -cookie <cookie_string>, but it is less secure.

c.f. http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200108/msg00016.html
and http://www.erlang.org/doc/r8b/lib/kernel-2.7.3/doc/html/auth.html
(which erroneously refers to $HOME/erlang.cookie without a dot prefix)

The default behavior is to create an arbitrarily random .erlang.cookie
file, which will prevent nodes from authorising communication.

Pete.