PLI 2002 -- report from someone who was there?

Scott Lystig Fritchie <>
Wed Oct 23 23:57:44 CEST 2002

uw> - Scott Fritchie talked about the Erlang Driver Writer's
uw> Toolkit. This is really good stuff. Kenneth Lundin may have to
uw> stop telling people that it's unsafe to use linked-in drivers...

Depends on your definition of "unsafe".  If you can't afford to have a
single memory access or divide-by-zero bug take down the Erlang VM,
then linked-in drivers aren't safe enough.  However, an EDTK-generated
driver can be used both as linked-in *and* pipe drivers.  :-)

I'm working on some serious documentation upgrades right now,
including a tutorial.  At the moment, most documentation is in the
example drivers & regression tests.  ("Read the Source, Luke!")
Oh, yeah, and the Erlang workshop paper.

The distro comes with drivers for:

	Berkeley DB 4.0.14, libnet, libpcap, and Spread

I'm thinking a combination of Berkeley DB + Spread multi-cast
messaging could create some nifty applications ... but I'm too busy
using the GD library (PNG and JPEG image creation) as the basis for my
tutorial writing.