missing banner on Solaris

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Wed Nov 13 11:30:20 CET 2002

Lars G J Carlsson <etxlg@REDACTED> writes:
> Vance Shipley wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed that the banner doesn't show up
> > when running erl on Solaris?
> >

> It depends on the value of your TERM variable.
> Haven't looked into why/how, nor what it should/shouldn't be.
> Setting it to sun (or xterm what it was in the xterm-window where I
> tried), you get the banner unsetting it (empty) you get no banner.

I haven't looked why and how but it seems that for some reason Erlang
determine that the terminal can't handle curses terminal control and
starts with "oldshell", i.e. an Erlang command shell without line
editing, history etc. You can force this mode using

  % erl -oldshell
  Eshell V5.2  (abort with ^G)
  1>

kent