Erlang is _the_ disruptive technology...

dvanhorn@REDACTED dvanhorn@REDACTED
Tue Nov 12 20:56:19 CET 2002

Quoting Scott Lystig Fritchie <fritchie@REDACTED>:

> The PLT (?) Scheme demo, as part of Matthew Flatt's presentation was
> impressive.  One features that caught my attention (darn it, my memory
> is playing tricks on me; I only watched it last night!) was called an
> "executioner".  It guarantees that cleanup tasks are done when a
> thread died.  They're in a hierarchy so that if your parent's
> executioner gets invoked, you know that your executioner will be
> invoked, too.

Documentation about Will Executors can be found at...

http://download.plt-scheme.org/doc/202/html/mzscheme/mzscheme-Z-H-13.html#%_chap_13

Flatt's paper on which his talk is based can be found at...

Programming Languages as Operating Systems (or, Revenge of the Son of the Lisp
Machine)
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/icfp99-ffkf.pdf

-d

--