Fw: Developing SMS-based Services in erlang

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Sun Nov 3 17:36:11 CET 2002

Valentin writes:

 > With this logic one can conclude that you cannot do anything because you
 > need hardware board first

That suits me just fine ;-)

Corelatus makes money by selling hardware. Software is a necessary
evil required to sell hardware. We do as much as necessary: L1 and L2
and leave L3 to our customers. They're better at it than we are and we
don't want to compete with them.

 > But that aside, this thread was started as Developing SMS-based Services in
 > ERLANG, and that does not have to include SS7 in any way, unless you want to
 > develop Gateway MSC and Inter-Working MSC components of SMSC. Maybe we
 > should start another thread, and put the focus on MAP, if there is enough
 > interest.

It depends on what you want to do. The welcome service referred to was
presented at last year's Erlang conference. That particular system
works by monitoring all (many? some?) internal #7 links to figure out
what the user is up to:

  http://www.erlang.se/euc/01/Hinde2001/sld004.htm

I don't know how they do it, but I can guess: they've probably
written a PDU decoder in Erlang. It's probably specific to extracting
the location-update and insert-subscriber-data packets, so it's
relatively simple.

Matthias