Shock horror

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Thu May 2 12:26:51 CEST 2002

> I am ready to debate if we even should give access to the
> Erlang shell
> to first and second line support. A few years ago, I never
> believed I
> would say such a thing, but with literaly thousands of heavy
> duty Erlang
> systems running out there today, if you are to stand any chance of
> giving decent support and efficiently finding bugs giving
> operators an
> Erlang shell would not facilitete your task as you can not control or
> monitor what they have done..

We do give access to first line application support and they tend not to
mess things up. It does save me getting called at midnight for the most part
(3 times in 3 years is not too bad - only once for an actual Erlang problem
- SNMP failing to startup cleanly in an older version).

We don't give it to other support teams around the business, which means we
have to do web gui stuff for all sorts of stuff it would be nice to provide
a command line i/f to.

What would be ideal would be a telnet interface into the runtime with proper
logins and configurable levels of access. e.g. login shinde would only be
allowed to call count:get_stats(). and vsn:get_versions(). and not allowed
to send messages.

Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: