mysterious GS 1.4.0 problems

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Tue Mar 12 23:30:19 CET 2002

Hi all.

I have encountered a problem using R8 and GS 1.4.0.  Strangely, it only
shows up on one of the three nodes R8 is installed on here (it's running
WinNT, but so is one of the other nodes.)  Upon doing a simple gs:config on
a listbox, I get an error like so:

=ERROR REPORT==== 12-Mar-2002::15:34:49 ===
Error in process <0.112.0> on node 'foo@REDACTED' with exit value:
{{case_clause,48},[{gstk_port_handler,input_during_call,2},
{gstk_port_handler,handle_input,3},{gstk_port_handler,wait_reply,2}]}
gs error: user backend died reason
{{case_clause,48},[{gstk_port_handler,input_during_call,2},
{gstk_port_handler,handle_input,3},{gstk_port_handler,wait_reply,2}]}

I have worked around this error by grabbing GS 1.3.8 from R7B2 and using it
instead.  It seems to work fine (in haste I just renamed the gs-1.3.8
directory to gs-1.4.0, it would probably be more prudent to actually change
the registry entries so they point to wish.exe et al.)

Hope this might help anyone who is having similar problems.  I thought there
wasn't much changed between GS 1.3.8 and 1.4.0, but it looks like something
might have been accidentally disturbed...

Chris