Problems with the gs library?

James Hague jamesh@REDACTED
Thu Jun 27 20:54:44 CEST 2002

I'm happy with Erlang for most general programming tasks, and now I'm in
need of doing some GUI work.  I've heard criticisms of gs in the past,
particularly that it's too slow.  I know it takes a few seconds to call
gs:start(), and that it takes a significant amount of extra time to start
Erlang with the toolbar (at least under Windows).  Is the problem with Tk
itself, the communication with Tk, or is it something else?  What are the
other problems with using gs?  I know it certainly isn't as nice as Delphi,
but Tk is the standard UI toolkit for Python, so it can't be all bad.

Thanks for any comments.