Monitoring a recv_loop inside a gen_server

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Mon Jun 17 09:17:04 CEST 2002

%% A little skeleton as a possible path to choose.
%%
%% This has never been compiled.

-module(applio).
-behaviour(gen_server).

%% Replace 'applio_name' and 'args' with something better.

%% API

start_link() ->
    gen_server:start_link(applio_name, ?MODULE, args, []).

start() ->
    gen_server:start(applio_name, ?MODULE, args, []).

%% Callbacks

init(args) ->
    process_flag(trap_exit, true),
    State = spawn_link(fun () -> recv_loop() end),
    {ok, State}. %% Augument state if necessary

handle_info({'EXIT, State, Reason}, State) ->
    {stop, Reason, undefined};
%% Other handle_info/2 clauses

%% End of example

The function start_link/1 (and start/1) are API functions and as such
called from some unknown process. If they are to be called from a
supervisor (in a supervision tree in an application), start_link/1 is
certainly the one to choose. Then the supervisor will notice when the
gen_server dies and can take action. These functions call
gen_server:start* that spawns the actual applio gen_server process.

The function applio:init/1 is called in the gen_servers process context,
and it will live on after the start of the gen_server, so it should
spawn_link() the recv_loop process.

The process_flag(trap_exit, true) and handle_info('EXIT', ...) stuff is
a way for the gen_server to detect that the recv_loop dies and do
something (or just die, passing the problem to the supervisor above).