erlang workings

Gerardo Rodriguez gr_kc_rodriguez@REDACTED
Sun Jun 16 03:17:57 CEST 2002

Hi,

Im studing Erlang and I have three quetions I have been asked to produce the working out for.  Im wondering if someone can help.

Quetion 1:
Erlang B
You need to design your outbound long distance trunk groups, which are currently experiencing some blocking during the busy hours.  The switch reports states that the trunk group is 17 erlang of traffic during the busy hour.You want to have low blockage so yoiu want to design this for less than 1% blockage.      The answer I got was 27 lines.
  But I dont know how I came to this answer.    How do I work this out.

Quetion 2:
Extended Erlang B
You want to determine how many circuits you need for your dail access server.  You know that you receive about 28 erlangs of traffic during the busy hour and that 5% blocking during that period is acceptable . You also expect that 50% of the users will retry immediatley.       The answer I got was 35 lines.
  But I dont know how I came to this answer.    How do I work this out.

Quetion 3:
Erlang C Traffic Model.
You are designing your backbone connection between routers. You know that you will generally see about 600 packets per sec and 200 bytes per packets or 1600bits per packets.  Multiplying 600pps by 1600bps packets. gives the amount of bandwidth you need for 960000bps.  You know increments of 64000bps the amount of data necessary to keep the circuits busy for 1 second.  How many circuits you need to keep delay to 10 milliseconds.

The answer I got was 10 lines.
  But I dont know how I came to this answer.    How do I work this out.

To get these answers I used a calculator,  But I would like to know how to work all this out on paper without the use of a calculator.

Would anyone be able to help.  I need this info ASAP>

Thanks
Gerry

gr_kc_rodriguez@REDACTED