driver_output_term() and unsigned long (32 bit) values

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Fri Jul 26 21:39:42 CEST 2002

> > IMHO, I think it is a bad idea to allow a driver to create
> a reference
> > since references should be unique and it will be hard to
> guarantee
> > uniqueness if there are several allocators ...
>

> Why not a function:
>
> 	ErlDrvTerm driver_mkref()
>
> which will always use the internal reference allocator?  Or is it
> not possible to use the existing allocator underlying erlang:mkref/0
> while a driver is executing?

It might be a problem if this was called by a driver thread - depending on
the algorithm it might need some mutex protection. Calling something like
this from one of the main driver callbacks in the main thread shouldn't be a
problem though.

Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: