Erlang echo server with eLite?

Fredrik Linder fredrik.linder@REDACTED
Thu Jul 25 11:53:22 CEST 2002

Hi Piotr

Perhaps there are others who can help you better than I, but here goes
nothing.

Using the !-operator one can communicate between erlang processes on
differnet erlang nodes, which can be located on different hosts. So, I guess
that's a yes to your question. However, in order to do so must all involved
erlang nodes have the same cookie (at the time of the message sending) and
must also have networking turned on (see doc for erl:
http://www.erlang.se/doc/doc-5.1/erts-5.1/doc/html/erl.html, -name or -sname
option to erl).

What kind of error are you having with "Srv ! {self(), Msg}" ? This
statement adds the erlang term "{self(), Msg}" to the mailbox of the Srv
process, which can be read by having the Srv process execute a
receive-statement (which reads one message from the mailbox).

Best Regards
/Fredrik

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED
[mailto:owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED]On Behalf Of Piotr Daruk
  Sent: den 25 juli 2002 10:29
  To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
  Subject: Erlang echo server with eLite?

  Halo!

      Despite the fact I'm working for Panasonic Poland, I'm also a student
of Warsaw University of Computer Science Dept. I'm now to write a program
using functional language. I have chosen Erlang and decided to write an echo
server. Yet, I would like to compile that to executable files either server
and client. I'm using Linux Mandreak 8.1 and eLite 2.0 that contains a
compiler. The problem is that the error occurs when I'm trying to do "Srv !
{self(), Msg}". I mean it compiles but doesn't work! I have already got know
that there is difference when I'm writing for eLite. For example I must do
erlang:halt(). insted of halt(). What should I do?
      Also, dose "Srv ! {self(), Msg}" messaging work as pipe in Linux? Can
I communicate to another process from other terminal on the same machine?

      I'm waiting for any help! Thanx!!!!!

  Best regards.
  Piotr Daruk