Yaws API discussion

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Tue Jul 16 20:03:47 CEST 2002

Chris Pressey <cpressey@REDACTED>:

> Even more unpopular opinion follows:
>
> I don't see the big deal with yaws besides performance

Because I think that there is a need in a application server that is simple to
use and code with and performant and I feel that it can be achieved by an Erlang
development. All solutions that I know of are complicated and clumsy.

For the rest, I tend to think that Open Source is about improving the tool that
fit best your need at a given moment of time.
What worries me is energy dispersion. Here is the list of Erlang HTTP server
that I know of:
- Inets 2
- Inets 3
- Pico
- Yaws
- possibly your incoming HTTP Server, Chris

So the main question is why develop another one ? Really ? You can choose one of
those servers as a basis of improvement. And writing another HTTP server, does
not allow place for other cool improvement in the feature of those servers (like
cool templating system, MVC approach modules, etc)

It would be cool to see an important Open Source Erlang project emerge as a
collaborative work of many Erlang developpers, but this would probably not
happen if we always rewrite everything when we need a piece of code (Even if
this is easy in Erlang).

--
Mickaël Rémond