yaws

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Tue Feb 12 15:04:40 CET 2002

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 1:46 pm, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> >If you want a neato protocol check out Chord.
>
> Yes, that seems like fun!
>
> >No JXTA also sucks (though less so than gnutella) - JXTA is a framework
> > for P2P but is IMHO not the way to go.
>
> I haven't had time to look at it that much, but I think it might work...

Yes it would work but there are problems - like

	- its overkill (using a battelship to kill a wallnut :-)
             - it doesn't map naturally onto Erlang. You have to set up a
               whole lot of stuff to do *anything* in JXTA. The JXTA spec is
               mostly a terminology for talking about the components of a P2P
               system - it gives the protocols that have to be
	  obeyed by the different layers, BUT it gives no indication as to
               HOW they should be implemented -
               Full of "there should be a name service" that maps GUIDs to
               communication ports - bit it doen't say how to do this.

               Easier to roll your own.

> >I'm more attracted to the idea of very small peer-2-peer groups (everybody
> >want's massive p2p groups) but what about the small one's.
> >Why do I have to use ICQ to get a connection to a friend? - why not use a
> >small p2p group for this. We could use yaws to keep track of the small p2p
> >groups.
>
> But JXTA is just a protocol - it shouldn't matter if it's a small or large
> group, does it? It just defines how the communication takes place.
>
> If ICQ was open-sourced, you could set up a private central server and let
> only your friends connect to it. Then you'd have your small group, but also
> the option to communicate with the rest of the world too.
>
> The protocol is orthogonal to the implementation (in theory), so any fixed
> point (yaws or wikie or a cgi/php/asp script) can be used to put the peers
> in contact with each other.
>
> Am I wrong?

 No quite right - I wrote an ICQ like thing'y for fun - only with *strong*
encryption (ho ho) - I'll dig it out and put it up on a server for you to
play with - this is the sort of component you're taking about.