release handler and behaviour

Wiger Ulf ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sat Dec 28 21:05:43 CET 2002

The part of the OTP documentation that describes behaviours is:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9b/doc/design_principles/des_princ.html#1.1

If you want to make a fault tolerant application, the supervisor behaviour
is an essential component. The above document also talks about building
supervision trees. The reference manual for the 'supervisor' module (part of
stdlib) is also important.

One of the most common behaviours is gen_server, the generic client-server
behaviour.
Here's a slightly simplified version of gen_server. Perhaps it will clarify
how the callbacks are used. It lacks a few of the gen_server features (see
erl -man gen_server), but behaves essentially like gen_server does. The most
notable omission is the support for code change.

-module(simple_server).

-export([start_link/3, call/2, call/3, cast/2]).

start_link({local, Name}, Module, Argument) ->
   Parent = self(),
   proc_lib:start_link(fun() ->
                           init(Name, Module, Argument, Parent)
                       end).

call(Server, Request) ->
   call(Server, Request, 5000).

call(Server, Request, Timeout) ->
   Ref = erlang:monitor(process, Server),
   Server ! {'$gen_call', {self(), Ref}, Request),
   receive
      {Ref, Reply} ->
         erlang:demonitor(Ref),
         Reply;
      {'DOWN', process, Ref, Reason} ->
         exit(timeout)   % If memory serves me - too lazy to check
   after Timeout ->
      exit(timeout)
   end.

cast(Server, Msg) ->
   Server ! {'$gen_cast', Msg},
   ok.

init(Name, Module, Argument, Parent) ->
   register(Name, self()),
   case catch Module:init(Argument) of
      {'EXIT', Reason} ->
         terminate(Module, Reason, []);
      {ok, State} ->
         main_loop(Module, Parent, State);
      Other ->
         terminate(Module, {bad_return, Other}, [])
   end.

main_loop(Module, Parent, State) ->
   receive
      {'EXIT', Parent, Reason} ->     % Note: the *Parent* exited
         terminate(Module, Reason, State);
      {'$gen_call', {Pid, Ref}=From, Request} ->
         case catch Module:handle_call(Request, From, State) of
            {'EXIT', Reason} ->
               terminate(Module, Reason, State);
            {reply, Reply, NewState} ->
               Pid ! {Ref, Reply},
               main_loop(Module, Parent, NewState);
            {noreply, NewState} ->
               main_loop(Module, Parent, NewState);
            {stop, Reason, NewState} ->
               terminate(Module, Reason, NewState};
            {stop, Reply, Reason, NewState} ->
               Pid ! {Ref, Reply},
               terminate(Module, Reason, NewState)
         end;
      {'$gen_cast', Msg} ->
         case catch Module:handle_cast(Msg, State) of
            {'EXIT', Reason} ->
               terminate(Module, Reason, State);
            {noreply, NewState} ->
               main_loop(Module, Parent, NewState);
            {stop, Reason, NewState} ->
               terminate(Module, Reason, NewState)
         end;
      Msg ->
         case catch Module:handle_info(Msg, State) of
            {'EXIT', Reason} ->
               terminate(Module, Reason, State);
            {noreply, NewState} ->
               main_loop(Module, Parent, NewState);