Can't get YAWS installed

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Thu Aug 22 16:52:46 CEST 2002

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 02:30:10PM +0200, Jilani Khaldi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have this problem:
> >
> > "make" command runs without errors, but when I run "make install" I get this
error:

> > cd ..; tar cz ebin --) | (cd /usr/local/lib/yaws; tar xz --)
> >
> > gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
> > tar: Child returned status 2
> > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> > make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
> > make: *** [install] Error 1
> >
> > How to solve it? Thanks.

it appears to me that this is not ones ordinary tar. the z flag is a
novelty. the use of tar in a pipe usually looks like this:

(cd ..; tar cf - ebin) | (cd /usr/local/lib/yaws; tar xf -)

allow me to guess that this tar knows that 'tar c ebin --' is equivalent to 'tar
cf - ebin'. second guess is that z is for compression.
then i would guess from the error messages that there is something
strange with the decompression. presumably the whole of the tar file
have not been successfully decompressed. subsequently tar fails to
extract everything correctly since the end of the file is missing.

sorry about all the guesses.
perhaps using 'cp -r ebin/*/usr/local/lib/yaws' would be an alternative to tar?

bengt