extending standard behaviours

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Tue Apr 16 20:03:46 CEST 2002

> This would amount to copying the entire gen_fsm.erl module to
> my_gen_fsm.erl and adding in a few lines of code.   This seems
> pretty ugly to me.

I had this problem some time ago. I wanted to add state aware timers to the
gen_fsm behaviour (i.e timers which on expiry called the current state
function with a timeout parameter rather than appearing en mass in
handle_info). The only solution I could come up with was exactly this - my
own gen_fsm_timer.erl.

I proposed my changes as an addition to the standard gen_fsm at the time,
this being the only route available which avoided my having to re-patch new
versions of gen_fsm in the future. It was rejected by popular vote it seems
:(

I fear we are straying a bit close into OO land here, but perhaps there is
something useful to steal from those guys??

Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: