Hipe question

Richard Carlsson <>
Wed Sep 26 22:49:18 CEST 2001

The module 'hipe' should be used directly only by diehard
experimentalists. For normal use, just write "c(my_module, [native])" in
the shell. This will create a .beam file, which also contains the native
code as a chunk. Whenever such a file is loaded (in a HiPE-enabled
system), the native code will be used if possible (i.e., if it was
created on the same kind of system - sparc/solaris or x86/linux) rather
than the Beam code (which is also included in the file). Of course, if
you use the shell "c(...)" function, the module will be autoloaded.

"Just like that!"

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Mickael Remond wrote:

> I now managed to compile Hipe on Linux (Debian "Sid") thanks to the
> brand new prerelease.
> I also manage to compile a module using the hipe:c/1 function.
> But, from what I understand, I need to use this function (=> hipe
> recompilation) for each new Erlang session, as no new file is created
> and the beam file does not seem to be modified.
> I did not see any way to make the Hipe compilation permanent.
> I try to use the hipe:compile function to get the code back from the
> function, but I did not figure out what to do with it (Writing it as a
> beam or as an executable file does not work).
> I am probably missing something.
> Any clue ?
> --
> Mickaël Rémond
> http://www.erlang-fr.org/

Richard Carlsson ()   (This space intentionally left blank.)
E-mail: 	WWW: http://www.csd.uu.se/~richardc/