application:stop hangs

Lennart Öhman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Fri May 25 13:23:21 CEST 2001

Taking a risk when entering into a correspondence I have not followed...
In the first place proc_lib was (a long time ago) built as a layer
between gen_server (or server_lib at that time) for those who needed
to build (OTP)compliant processes but without using server_lib. At
that time there were no gen_event, gen_fsm etc.

At that time there were no applications-concept making it sometimes
necessary
to start processes as top-most-supervisor linked to nothing.

If you like the spawning and linking to be atomic it must be done
through
a call to spawn_link/3. Since having all API functions (including the
start
function) in the code which implements the server is a really good idea,
it must
be the server code which calls spawn_link/3 (instead of making it the
responsibility
of the supervisor to link). Then there must be two gen_server or
proc_lib
functions to provide both options (unlinked for shell testing or other
situations
where linking to the caller is no good, and regular linked). You must
just hope
that the server programmer uses the correct one for the situation the
server
is going to be started in.

/Lennart