Erlang Development Environment

Klacke klacke@REDACTED
Tue Mar 6 16:08:30 CET 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 08:58:51AM -0600, James Hague wrote:
> > > a. There's no simple, efficient way to have large, constant
> > data structures.
> >
> > OK, but I'd rather not there be some "special method" in Erlang for
> > making large constant data structures, efficient.  An
> > optimizer of some sort should see to that, behind the scenes.
>
> I agree.  If constant data had it's own non-GCed memory pool, that would be
> great.  But that's a big change to the runtime, I expect.  Oh, but it would
> really open up possibilities, IMO.

This is the reason why I once added the ets tables to the runtime.
I wanted to keep very large amounts of data in RAM without exposing that
data to the gc. I guess the ets tables are more suited for many, but not
so large objects as opposed to few, but very large objects though.

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
Alteon WebSystems                     -- everything is under control