Fwd: Erlang: orber problem

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Fri Jul 20 09:53:46 CEST 2001

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Kjetil Rossavik wrote:
> I am experimenting with R7B (probably R7B-2 - how do I check?) orber on
> Windows2000 client communicating with Orbix 3.0.1 on Solaris server.

A simple way to check which Orber-version you are using is:

erl> m(orber).

> I can communicate with the server, but in some instances I am getting
> the following exception:
> {'EXCEPTION',{'MARSHAL',[],107,'COMPLETED_MAYBE'}}
>
> 1. Is this a client (Erlang/Win2K) or server (Orbix/Solaris) marshalling
> failure?

If you don't run Orber as lightweight the exception above is thrown when
Orber attempts to decode a message (e.g. Reply, Request).

> 2. Where can I find explanations for these error codes.
I'm afraid their assigned values are not documented.

> 3. (long shot) Is this a known problem, e.g. fixed in OTP R7B-3 (readme
> lists lots of orber fixes)
Probably not. However, the Orbix IIOP implementation was buggy prior to
Orbix-3.3 (patch 20); sends garbage on the wire in some cases. Consult:

http://www2.iona.com/MinervaRoot/index.jsp?action=article&catId=_0&articleURL=/support/articles/2874.192.xml

Most of the changes in R7B-3 was to reduce overhead and adding new
features. The bug-fixes shouldn't have any impact on your application.

> I will provide more information as required, thought I would start off
> nice and simple.

Even though it's not documented (prior to 3.2.5) you can set the
configuration parameter 'orber_debug_level' which will generate printouts
when something abnormal occurs (NOTE, not always errors). Usage:

shell> erl -orber orber_debug_level 10

Please supply all printouts and the exact Orber-version.

The most common mistake is that the IDL-specs isn't registered in the IFR.
When compiling your IDL-file(s) erl-module(s) (named 'oe_XXX.erl') is
generated and contains the function oe_register().

If this doen's solve your problem please e-mail again.

/Nick