Erlang: a European phenomenon?

Tony Gahlinger tgahling@REDACTED
Mon Feb 19 00:10:14 CET 2001

Hmm .. try

	http://www.motivity.ca/

spearheaded by Vance Shipley--a quite regular contributor to this
list--with the odd aiding and abetting on my part. We've been using
Erlang/OTP as the focal development bed for our telecom products for
the past three years.

--Tony

Chris Pressey wrote:

> I was wondering to myself, who else in Canada uses Erlang?
>
> Well, the first name that popped into my mind was Ericsson, of course!
> But after about an hour scouring their employment opportunities (
> http://www.ericsson.com/CA/career_opportunities/montreal/jobs.shtml ) I
> found not a single mention of Erlang!  A search for Erlang on Ericsson's
> global site returns links mainly to ericsson.se with almost no mention
> of North America.
>
> It's not that I'm very surprised, it seems to be giving credit to my
> theory that companies (esp. in NA) will tend to use languages for which
> it is cheap to hire programmers... regardless of the language's
> strengths and weaknesses... a theory that I'd rather see disproven :-)
> but seems to be an unfortunate economic "truth" of our time.
>
> Please, someone tell me I'm not the only person on this continent using
> Erlang! :-)
>
> _chris
>
> --
> Change rules.

Tony Gahlinger & Associates Inc.
Telecommunication Consultants and Software Development
48 Combermere Crescent, Waterloo ON  N2L 5B1
519-888-6267  Fax: 519-888-9127