Three IO library related problems

matthias <>
Thu Aug 2 22:40:52 CEST 2001

In R7B-3:

	18> io_lib:fread("~d.~d", "22").
	=ERROR REPORT==== 2-Aug-2001::21:37:53 ===
	ERROR: "Error in process <0.54.0> with exit value:
	** exited: {function_clause,[{io_lib_fread,fread,[".~d",[],2,[22]]},
	                             {shell,eval_loop,2}]} **

I think it should return {more, ....}. The thought of patching
io_lib_fread.erl without a test suite makes me feel weak. 'catch'
is a halfway useful workaround.

On a related note, it'd be nice if the man page/web page for io_lib
said that the {more, ....} tuple returned from fread/2 can be used as
a continuation for fread/3.

Back in November there was a discussion about operations with binaries
and io sometimes guzzling memory. Just writing

  3> {bla, Bin}.

on the shell prompt for a modest-sized binary would consume huge
amounts of RAM. This was traced to a bug in io_lib_pretty and
Robert Virding posted a fix to the mailing list. The fix isn't in
R7B-3. Has this slipped between the cracks, or is it waiting for
a volunteer to submit a proper diff?

Robert's post: