EPL question

matthias@REDACTED matthias@REDACTED
Thu Aug 2 21:23:58 CEST 2001

Hi,

I haven't detected any great interest in the licence before, but
I'll post my late-night wonderings anyway.

The GPL explicitly says that I can make distribute programs I compile
using a GNU compiler without the result falling under the GPL

   gpl> the output from the Program is covered only if its contents
   gpl> constitute a work based on the Program (independent of
   gpl> having been made by running the Program).

The EPL has no such statement. As far as I can tell, and I am neither
a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, the EPL handles this by
distinguishing between a "Larger Work" and a "Modification". My own
programs don't seem to fall under the definition of "Modification", so
they don't have to be distributed under the EPL conditions.

Even linking with erl_interface seems to be borderline OK since I'm
not changing any of the original files.

Matthias