Problem setting DefaultQoS with Notification Service

Jani Launonen jabba@REDACTED
Fri Apr 27 21:08:55 CEST 2001

Hello everyone,

I've quite new to Erlang and haven't had the time to learn it properly as
I'm in bit haste to set up OTP's Notification Service in place of JacORB's
Event Service. So no Erlang is yet involved in our code.

There's an example use of Notification Service at page
http://www.erlang.org/doc/r7b/lib/cosNotification-1.0.2/doc/html/ch_example.html#7.1
which has this code:

	%% Create a new event channel.
	Ch = 'CosNotifyChannelAdmin_EventChannelFactory':
        	  create_channel(ChFac, DefaultQoS, DefaultAdmin),

The question is, whether there is these DefaultQoS and DefaultAdmin
defined somewhere or are these just put as an place holders here? Or is
there a way to create channel with default QoS/Admin values by some other
function? Page
http://www.erlang.org/doc/r7b/lib/cosNotification-1.0.2/doc/html/ch_QoS.html#6
does say, what the default values are, so these must be hidden somewhere in
the source. I've tried to find out this DefaultQoS (DefaultAdmin) (or
similar) in the source, but failed so far. Could someone help me with this
one as I'm bit confused with the record syntax in Erlang (and especially
those Corba mappings) and haven't succeeded creating default values by myself.

As a bonus question, I'm interested if the Notification Service is
automatically load balanced across Erlang nodes. Can Orber domain used
somehow to distribute load across nodes and machines. You know, I'd smile
like idiot if I could make it run with bunch of Sun E450:s :-). We have
some friendly competition with our VTT (Natinal Research Centre) researchers in
scalability.

Thank you.

-+-+-+-
Jani Launonen             Home: (08) 8802 180/Work: +358 8 553 2810
jabba@REDACTED          Paalikatu 14 A 410
                          90520 OULU
Student. . . . . . . . . .University of Oulu, Dept. of EE
Assistant Researcher . . .Genie of the Net Project