Erlang futures

Steve Langstaff srl@REDACTED
Tue Apr 17 14:43:31 CEST 2001

On 17 April 2001 12:02, Sean Hinde [SMTP:Sean.Hinde@REDACTED] wrote:

> Erlang has strings :) They are implemented as lists but I have not had any
> great problem with this and it makes for very easy programming. They can be
> stored in mnesia as binaries if you want to save the last few bytes of
> memory.

I was under the (perhaps incorrect) impression that the overhead of those
"last few bytes of memory" was something like 7 bytes per character in the string.

It's the old "Bloatware == ease of use" trade-off that produces animated talking
paperclips.

Not that animated talking paperclips are _necessarily_ all bad.

--
Steve L.