what OS support is needed?

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu@REDACTED
Sat Oct 14 16:29:55 CEST 2000

Hi! me again with my strange questions...

Lately I have looked quite intently at the QNX real time platform. It is a true micro-kernel architecture and most of the OS functionality is running as regular applications (it's really cool to be able to restart a driver without booting!)

While waiting for the port (thanks, Sean - how can I help?), I am wondering what are the minimal OS capabilities needed for running a minimal Erlang?

A memory manager is needed, a file system for the code module and a TCP/IP stack an associated stuff for communicating. But further than that?

I also came to think that the file system is only needed in today's implementation. It is thinkable to have a more generic code module that will be able to load code from memory (in a ROMed system) for example, or from the resource pool of a Windows executable (aiding a lot the SAE thing, I think)

regards,
Vlad