Interrupting passive socket recv

Chandrashekhar Mullaparthi Chandrashekhar.Mullaparthi@REDACTED
Tue Nov 14 14:28:41 CET 2000

Another suggestion would be to make gen_tcp:recv take a message pattern
which it should send back to the controlling process. In R6B, the call to
gen_tcp:recv ends in this function:

call(S, Request) ->
    Tag = make_ref(),
    Pid = S#socket.pid,
    Pid ! {call, self(), Tag, Request},
    receive
        {Tag, Reply} -> Reply;
        {'EXIT', Pid, Reason} ->
            {error, closed};
        {tcp_closed, S} ->
            {error, closed}
    end.

Now if this is extended to:

call(S, Request, MyPattern) ->
    Tag = make_ref(),
    Pid = S#socket.pid,
    Pid ! {call, self(), Tag, Request},
    receive
        {Tag, Reply} -> Reply;
        {'EXIT', Pid, Reason} ->
            {error, closed};
        {tcp_closed, S} ->
            {error, closed};
	  {MyPattern, Mesg} ->
		{MyPattern, Mesg}
    end.

So I can call:
gen_tcp:recv(SocketRef, Length, my_message) so that all messages to my
process in the format {my_message, Something} are given to me as a result.

This is pretty restrictive in the sense that your messages have to conform
to a certain structure, you can specify only one pattern....
Multiple/Arbitrary patterns can be specified if clause guards are extended
to take a user defined fun. In that case, the above function can be written
as:

call(S, Request, UserDefinedPredicateFun) ->
    Tag = make_ref(),
    Pid = S#socket.pid,
    Pid ! {call, self(), Tag, Request},
    receive
        {Tag, Reply} -> Reply;
        {'EXIT', Pid, Reason} ->
            {error, closed};
        {tcp_closed, S} ->
            {error, closed};
	  Message when UserDefinedPredicateFun(Message) -> Message
    end.

cheers,
Chandru

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: