Variable instances (Re: Trace on Variable assignment)

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Thu Nov 9 16:04:08 CET 2000

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

>I, for one, prefer having names like AdjustedArgument rather than like
>Argument[5]... that is - when I don't just overuse X, Y, A and I :-)

Personally, I'd like to use subscripts for instance numbering, but
they're so hard to type... Perhaps we should start writing our Erlang
code in MS Word? (=

Names like NewX are great if you only change X once - they become a
bit contrived in the following iterations: NewNewX? EvenNewerX?

It's when you start having more than 3-4 changes of the same variable
in the same function that it's easy to lose track.
(Yeah I know it's a crummy way to write code in a single-assignment
language, but I've run into so many examples where it's really tricky
to come up with a better way.)

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95