Changing Solaris environment variables so os:getenv/1 gets the ne w value

Sean Hinde <>
Fri Mar 24 14:41:48 CET 2000

Hi all,

Something which has been perplexing me for a while.

When running an embedded system, I want to be able to change the DISPLAY
environment variable so that a call to to_erl can start appmon displayed on
a remote host.

If I simply do
export DISPLAY=host:0.0
Attaching to /tmp/erlang.pipe.2 (^D to exit)

()2> os:getenv("DISPLAY").

I know I can set DISPLAY in the start script, but I don't want to have to
restart the node to change the DISPLAY variable!

Has anyone come up with a solution to this in the past?