Distributed applications (global)

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Fri Mar 10 14:00:44 CET 2000

Sean,

I've made a hack to the dist_ac.erl module. I haven't tried it,
mind you, but it does compile. I thought you'd like to try it.
What I've done is to try to make sure that dist_ac will always
respond to the {dist_ac_weight, _, _, _} messages.

/Uffe

> diff dist_ac.erl .../otp-r6b_1/lib/kernel-2.4.3.1/src/dist_ac.erl
545a546,575
>     case keysearch(Name, #appl.name, S#state.appls) of
>       {value, Appl} ->
>           Id = Appl#appl.id,
>           case Id of
>               run_waiting ->
>                   {?DIST_AC, Node} ! {dist_ac_weight, Name, 0, node()},
>                   {noreply, S};
>               undefined ->
>                   {noreply,
>                    S#state{tmp_locals = [{Name, Weight, Node} |
>                                          S#state.tmp_locals]}};
>               {takeover, _} ->
>                   {noreply,
>                    S#state{tmp_locals = [{Name, Weight, Node} |
>                                          S#state.tmp_locals]}};
>               {failover, _} ->
>                   {noreply,
>                    S#state{tmp_locals = [{Name, Weight, Node} |
>                                          S#state.tmp_locals]}};
>               _ ->
>                   MyWeight = get_cached_weight(Name, S),
>                   {?DIST_AC, Node} ! {dist_ac_weight, Name, MyWeight,
node()},
>                   NTWs = keyreplaceadd(Name, 1, S#state.tmp_weights,
>                                        {Name, MyWeight}),
>                   {noreply,  S#state{tmp_weights = NTWs}}
>           end;
>       _ ->
>           {noreply,
>            S#state{tmp_locals = [{Name, Weight, Node} |
S#state.tmp_locals]}}
>     end;
547,550d576
<     %% UW patch: broke out the code into its own function
<     NewS = answer_weight(Name, Weight, Node, S),
<     {noreply, NewS};
<
786,788d811
<     do_wait_dist_start(Node, Appl, Name, Nodes, PermittedNodes, S, Type).
<
< do_wait_dist_start(Node, Appl, Name, Nodes, PermittedNodes, S, Type) ->
803a827
>           monitor_node(Node, false),
806,813c830
<           do_wait_dist_start(Node, Appl, Name,
<                              Nodes, PermittedNodes, S, Type);
<       {dist_ac_weight, Name1, Weight1, Node1} ->
<           %% UW 000310: Node1 is busy working on another app, and wants
<           %% to query us about weight. We must respond to avoid deadlock.
<           NewS = answer_weight(Name1, Weight1, Node1, S),
<           do_wait_dist_start(Node, Appl, Name,
<                              Nodes, PermittedNodes, NewS, Type);
---
>           wait_dist_start(Node, Appl, Name, Nodes, PermittedNodes, S,
Type);
817,822c834,838
<               filter(
<                 fun({Name2, _Weight, Node2}) when Node2 == Node,
<                    Name2 == Name -> false;
<                    (_) -> true
<                 end,
<                 S#state.tmp_locals),
---
>               filter(fun({Name2, _Weight, Node2}) when Node2 == Node,
>                                                        Name2 == Name ->
false;
>                         (_) -> true
>                      end,
>                      S#state.tmp_locals),
836,841d851
<       {dist_ac_weight, Name1, Weight1, Node1} ->
<           %% UW 000310: Node1 is busy working on another app, and wants
<           %% to query us about weight. We must respond to avoid deadlock.
<           NewS = answer_weight(Name1, Weight1, Node1, S),
<           wait_dist_start2(Appl, Name,
<                            Nodes, PermittedNodes, NewS, Type);
1468,1498d1477
< %%% UW Patch 000310: This function is called from 3 different
< %%% places (handle_info/2, do_wait_dist_start/7, and wait_dist_start2/6).
<
< answer_weight(Name, Weight, Node, S) ->
<     case keysearch(Name, #appl.name, S#state.appls) of
<       {value, Appl} ->
<           Id = Appl#appl.id,
<           case Id of
<               run_waiting ->
<                   {?DIST_AC, Node} ! {dist_ac_weight, Name, 0, node()},
<                   S;
<               undefined ->
<                   S#state{tmp_locals = [{Name, Weight, Node} |
<                                         S#state.tmp_locals]};
<               {takeover, _} ->
<                   S#state{tmp_locals = [{Name, Weight, Node} |
<                                         S#state.tmp_locals]};
<               {failover, _} ->
<                   S#state{tmp_locals = [{Name, Weight, Node} |
<                                         S#state.tmp_locals]};
<                   MyWeight = get_cached_weight(Name, S),
<                   {?DIST_AC, Node} !
<                       {dist_ac_weight, Name, MyWeight, node()},
<                   NTWs = keyreplaceadd(Name, 1, S#state.tmp_weights,
<                                        {Name, MyWeight}),
<                   S#state{tmp_weights = NTWs}
<           end;