Constant lists

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Tue Jul 4 14:32:44 CEST 2000

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Richard Carlsson wrote:

> This is something that the compiler should detect and handle better (by
> creating a static structure instead of generating code to rebuild it at
> each call), but it also requires that the garbage collector can handle
> special memory areas for constant data, so it is not all that easy to
> implement. The same problem occurs with e.g. floating-point constants. We
> are working on it in HiPE, but I don't know about coming releases of OTP.
> Björn? Robert?
>
> 	/Richard Carlsson

Correction: we *are* already doing this in HiPE. (Thanks, Erik.)

	http://www.csd.uu.se/projects/hipe/osh/

(E.g., try calling, say, `io:module_info()' a couple of thousand times,
probably being the most important Erlang benchmark ever :-).)

	/Richard

Richard Carlsson (richardc@REDACTED)   (This space intentionally left blank.)
E-mail: Richard.Carlsson@REDACTED	WWW: http://www.csd.uu.se/~richardc/