ETk problem

uzturnau@REDACTED uzturnau@REDACTED
Fri Jan 21 22:11:19 CET 2000

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 05:06:18PM +0100, Tony Rogvall wrote:
> The 'rcmd' is used when the uninterpreted value is needed. In this case
> this means:
>         Text = tk:rcmd(Entry, [get])

Thanks! This indeed does solve the problem (by the way, is there any
documentation on ETk?). I was already despairing of finding a
workaround (save modifying the ETk sources) when I discovered that the
two -- admittedly different -- inputs "97 98 99" and "abc" produced
exactly the same output, making it impossible to distinguish a phone
number from "abc"! Rather unfortunate, if you are trying to write a
database application ;-)

> This is of course a hack, but as soon as tcl/tk has internal data types
> on EVERYTHING (except for string) then it's time to do something about
> it.
>
> BTW
>
> To delete all characters in the entry use:
>         tk:cmd(Entry, [delete, 0, 'end'])
> (one liner :-)

Excellent advice. Thanks again for your help.

Pawel