comment trimming in r6b

Klacke klacke@REDACTED
Tue Feb 22 13:04:09 CET 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 12:36:47PM +0100, Luke Gorrie wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was just reading through some of the erlang R6B sources and noticed
> that apparently all the author information, historical notes, and
> informal comments have been stripped out (at least in the files I
> looked at). That's quite different to 47.4.1, where there's a lot of
> this stuff throughout the code.
>
> I'd like to humbly suggest not doing that sort of thing :-) Because
> one of the things that made me like Erlang was the informal/human face
> of it - seeing the same names on the mailing list, on usenet, and in
> the sources, etc. I think the contrast between that and the typical
> dehumanised company-is-only-entity approach is a big advantage for
> Erlang.

I disliked it too when I saw it. However, thinking about it for
while made me change my mind. Much of the authors/comments info
in the source was also downright wrong and outdated. Many of the original
authors aren't around any longer, neither is their code.
Besides, there's an AUTHOR file for ecah app which says something
about the original authors and the history of the app.
See for example erts/AUTHORS

/klacke

Claes Wikstrom                          <klacke@REDACTED>
Bluetail AB                             http://www.bluetail.com