Using failover

Samuel Tardieu sam@REDACTED
Thu Feb 10 18:32:49 CET 2000

Ulf> If you use global:re_register_name(Name, NewPid), the new
Ulf> instance of your process will simply take over the name, and
Ulf> calls to the global server will be re-routed to the new instance.

Thanks! I just tried this, and it works perfectly, including the state
transfer (well, ok, I never doubted it would work, this is Erlang
after all :).

In fact, I realized that I can loose the state without any drawback,
and I will change my code so that the global server gets locally
registered first then uses global:re_register_name (that I didn't know
about). I can even reset my start_phases to an empty list.

Ulf> The old application instance is shut down automatically when the
Ulf> new application instance is fully started.

Yup, that's what I've seen. Looking at the application with appmon (on
a node that never dies of course :) is really impressive. I think that
I get what I need to convince people to switch to Erlang, this is
a good demo :)

Thanks again for your advices, they were very precious!

  Sam, whose application will never die again :)
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@REDACTED