GS and GUIs

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Sun Dec 31 21:59:55 CET 2000

We started using etk as it appeared to be the successor
to gs at the time.  Neither gs nor etk seemed to be a
really elegant approach to front ending our systems with
a GUI.  In the end the approach we took was to build a
Tcl/Tk extension which links in the erl_interface library.
With this approach the GUI is built entirely in standard
Tcl/Tk and it uses message passing to interact with the
Erlang processes.  This allows us to use the latest versions
of Tcl/Tk and it also means we can run the GUI on any system
without the need to install Erlang/OTP.

	-Vance

Motivity Telecom Inc.