make tests

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Thu Sep 30 11:23:07 CEST 1999

Hakan Mattsson <hakan@REDACTED> writes:

> On 29 Sep 1999, Luke Gorrie wrote:
>
> luke>Actually, I was hacking Mnesia's transaction manager today and was
>
> Great! What are you doing?

I'm just toying around really. I read a transaction processing book a
while ago and I've been looking for an excuse to play around with that
stuff since. I've been looking at trying out a more optimistic locking
strategy with deadlock detection rather than avoidance, though now
that I can see how the present pessimistic locking works I think its
pretty cool. I'm not sure how practical each approach is, so I'm only
really poking around in the name of fun. :)

> luke> about to ask on Wikie if we could have a play with the test
> luke> suite. :-) I think it would be great if it was released as open
> luke> source, but understand if it's a bit tangled up in larger things.
>
> If your hacking is more serious than playing ;-), you will
> definitely need the test suite.

Even for playing :-), I already broke the deadlock avoidance making a
naive change to abort fewer transactions yesterday. I'm too scared
to use a customised Mnesia with my programs without running it through
the test suite.

So, I think it would be nifty if the test suite was open sourced too,
but I'm only playing around so it's not too important for me. Now that
I applied the fix to shorten the restart delay, even the artificial
test case I made runs pretty quick so I'm happy. :-)

Cheers,
Luke