Why is Erlang so large?

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Tue Nov 30 12:44:30 CET 1999

Per Hedeland wrote:

> James Hague <jhague@REDACTED> wrote:
> >The tar.gz file for the latest Open Source Erlang release is close to 7
> >megabytes.  Why so large?  7 MB of zipped source code is _huge_.
>
> Yeah, there's a lot of source code in there...:-)

There is also alot of bootstrap binary code ... unpacked ~3M,
I think one way to shrink the bootstarp is to use the standalone stuff.
Prebuild a standalone compiler, I have a version that is only 239514 bytes,
capable
of compiling erlang code. It contains gzipped beam files.
The bootstrap phase is then to create the bootstrap standalone executable
(only 1 beam files needed ring0)

/Tony