Installing libraries.

Claes Wikstrom klacke@REDACTED
Tue Dec 15 17:01:40 CET 1998

Hello,

Ben Hyde writes:

 > 1. How do I install libraries?  I installed the tar.gz with the
 >    core system, and then the libraries.tar.gz - but I had to
 >    guess where to unpack it and now it would appear that when
 >    I launch erl it doesn't find the libraries....

Ok, the install procedure of libraries is far from perfect
in the first release of open source erlang, We're working
on the Makefile system now. Anyway,

The libraries.tar.gz file should be unpacked inside
the libraries directory (which is a link to erts/lib)

Once there most of the libraries (except some) ought to
build nicely. In the case of Mnesia it should be sufficent
to go to libraries/mnesia and type
% gmake CC_ROOT=[top root of the whole thing]

(There is no functioning install procedure there yet
but an ordinary 'gmake' should compile Mnesia in place
and produce a working Mnesia system inplace)

 > I've wandered in because Mnesia looks like the answer to a question -
 > "Where in open source land can I find a nice persistent data store."
 > Since I'm already a functional programming guy much of what erlang
 > brings to the table only makes it look better to my eyes.
 >
 > 2. Can you suggest things to look at that are examples of
 >    utilizing Mensia?

This is actually not so very easy todo since most applications
that actually make use of Mnesia are Ericsson products and
besides from being Ericsson products they are complicated and huge.

The userdocs ought to get you somewhere though and if they don't
just post here and we'll try to help you out.

Cheers

/klacke