[eeps] EEP XXX: Pattern-test operator

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Sat Apr 14 03:42:09 CEST 2012

I see this change as making guards produce side effects because of the code like:

    case ... of
      X  when  X ~ {A,B}, X /= {0,0} -> A + B
    end

(from "Binding semantics")
The variables A and B are leaking into the case result, so these variables are side-effects, right?  Otherwise, with the way Erlang is currently, guards are self-contained such that you can make assumptions about the code executed after a guard, saying "this code after this guard is not affected by the contents within the guard", and that statement helps as you read Erlang code, since it is functional and each statement returns a value... so guards currently have distinct separation from the code they control.  Your proposal seems to remove that separation, which should make source code more complex and will reduce the assumptions you can make about guard statements.  That is why I think it should reduce the testability of Erlang code and eliminate optimization opportunities.