[eeps] Re: [erlang-questions] [eeps] EEP 35 "Binary string modules" (fwd)

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Mon Nov 15 12:09:45 CET 2010

Hi,

I think this is a really good point. I didn't think along these lines as I
was focused on making the original EEP more specific, not changing the
actual intention of that EEP. Now that I read your comment, I
actually think it would be a better idea to change the original intention
of the EEP to a general string handling module...

As this module handles unicode, it's however not really io_lists we're
talking about except in the latin1 case. For unicode data we have mixed
datatypes that are not io_lists, but described as 'chardata()' in the top
of the 'unicode' module manual page. I suppose that the general idea of
handling this type of mixed data is what you're after.

A general string module could have much the same interface, but of course
slightly changed to fit the more general datatypes involved.

There are several ways to go here. One way is to simply accept
mixed character data as input, behaving as if an implicit
'unicode:characters_to_binary()' was executed on the parameters, in which
case return values etc would be retained as is. This would correspond to
how the re module handles mixed data, but would invalidate the use of the
module as a replacement when we actually want to work with lists.

A better aproach, I think, would be to return binaries if the input is
binary, but deep character lists otherwise. In the case of latin1 data,
they can be directly used as io_lists if so required.

What kind of aproach did you have in mind?

I'm definitely open tho the idea of rejecting this EEP and instead write
one for this type of general string handling module.

What do others on the list think?

Cheers,
/Patrik

PS. Just a question; Which modules do you have in mind when you write that
some modules do not support Unicode when handling strings? The idea is
that string handling routines should handle unicode, while byte-oriented
modules do not specifically do this (when writing i.e. to a file, you
cannot write unicode characters without suppling a specific format. After
all, we write bytes to a file, not some abstract notion of characters).
DS.