[erlang-questions] [eeps] EEP 35 "Binary string modules" (fwd)

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Mon Nov 15 11:21:58 CET 2010

Forwarded from erlang-questions mailing list.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:27:56 +0100
From: Zoltan Lajos Kis <kiszl@REDACTED>
To: Erlang Users' List <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] [eeps] EEP 35 "Binary string modules"

My opinion is that it would be more convenient to have a (single) module that
provides string handling on the iodata() data type.

Right now we have some functionality available only for list strings, some for
binary strings, and some for iodata strings;
some with unicode support, some without. This new module would definitely
broaden the available functionality, but it
feels like we will still have to convert b/w iodata, lists and binaries.

Regards,
Zoltan.