[eeps] Multi-Parameter Typechecking BIFs

mats cronqvist masse@REDACTED
Wed Feb 25 15:25:24 CET 2009

Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:17, mats cronqvist <masse@REDACTED> wrote:
>>  The proposal is to allow inlined type checks. My opinion is that
>>  'when' was a mistake. That seems plenty clear to me, and I think
>>  we've once again reached the point were you're actively trying to
>>  misunderstand.
>
> Hello Mats,
>
> I won't get in-between you and Richard here :-)

  you're a much smarter guy than I am...

> but I don't see
> exactly what your suggestion was about what the right replacement to
> when is. It is probably because there are so many threads in this
> discussion and I can't focus enough to find it. Would you mind
> explaining it again very briefly?

  I'm a fan of the (apocryphal?) Python saying "only one way to do
  it."  So, I think 'if', 'case' and 'when' should never have been
  introduced.  Inlined type checks, pattern matching and 'try' (*)
  should be enough for anyone.  Sure, some things would be less
  convenient to express, but keeping the language compact is more
  important.  Just an opinion, mind you, not a proposal.

  mats

(*) Not the crippled 'try' of today, of course. You'd have to allow

try foo() of
  bla -> bla();
  baz -> baz()
end.